Successful business owners must wear many hats. The tactics of the day-to-day serving customers and managing employees can leave precious little time for longer term concerns like the sale or transition of the business. This can be a mistake. Exit planning along with mergers and acquisitions should be an ongoing consideration while building and growing your business.
Thoughtful business planning can help answer questions like:
- What is the value of my business, and how does that impact my retirement and estate plan?
- Is my buy-sell agreement up to date, and does it still accomplish my goals?
- If I wanted to transfer my business to my children, what are my options?
- If I plan to sell my business in 5–10 years, what should I be doing today to maximize my hard work?
- Is my capital structure adequate for my long-term goals?
- How might estate taxes impact by business?
We have helped define answers to questions like these for a variety of business owners with company valuations ranging from $1 million to over $100 million. This work has included companies in diverse industries including car dealerships, real estate, manufacturing, engineering, technology, health care and others. If you’d like help aligning your personal finances and your business interests, we’d love to be a resource for you.